Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

The love of a Aunt...

My Aunt Shirley is the one who baked cookies with us , who always took us around the games when we were younger.  She was the one that seemed to make sure we had a birthday cake.  I always remember her being in my life when I was little, middle age, and now older.  She's been a constant in my life she's always loved me and I have always felt loved by her.

Tonight we did one of her favorite things move my furniture around in our bedroom.  She loves to move furniture.  It just get's her all giddy.  She came home and asked me if I got my new recliner and I said no it's coming Saturday and she said "let me go eat and I'll be right up".  I said we don't have to do it tonight, I don't want her to have to do that after she worked all day, but she said oh no we have to tonight since tomorrow she's getting her smile back she keeps telling me.  ( She's getting her teeth pulled and getting dentures ). So I tried to move it all by myself just so she didn't have to work anymore tonight because I know she needs her rest.  But up she came with her little scooty magi gees in hand all excited to get to moving around.  First we moved it here and then we decided on another place.  Anyhoo....Then we spent time she wanted to hang up a window curtain and wash the window.  She always stays busy.  I wish I had her energy.  She will be 70 this summer and she seems to never slow down.  I worry about her, she works so much for us, she does our laundry, she just does so much.

I'm thankful we have a nice place she can live independently in our basement by herself.  No it's not a dungeon, it's a nice set up she has.  We built it in with idea of my mother-in-law staying with us with a kitchen, bath, 2 bedrooms and a living area.  All it's missing is a washing and dryer and she would be in hog heaven.  Anyhoo I'm glad we can do this for her, no she doesn't pay us,  I feel like I need to repay her for being my greatest Aunt.   Of course I'm not holding her hostage and she can leave whenever she wanted to but I hope she doesn't.

My Aunt Shirley is a Cancer Survivor!  Almost 5 years ago she was diagnosed with colon cancer.  She had a pretty rough time of it.  We were also thankful that my other Aunt Karen ( her sister ) moved in with her and took the best possible care of her.  I'm so grateful she had a awesome doctor-surgeon also at the Cleveland Clinic who did a wonderful job with her.  She had a rough time of it and one day I remember looking at her and leaving the room because I just didn't think she was going to make it.  The chemo/radiation was doing a number on her.  It broke my heart.  I couldn't stand to see my favorite Aunt like that.

 I hated to have to tell her first I might have breast cancer.  Whenever I'm down or such she will get to baking she knows what I like. lol.  We both love pretty much the same things so that's a good thing.  I then had to tell her I did have breast cancer I could tell she was crying.  She told me you can do it,  you have been through worse with the stroke.  I hope she's right about that.  She came home and made sugar pie crust that night it was so nice I just remember something warm, yummy and her making it with love for me.

I hope she's one of those Aunts that live to be in their 90's and still getting around.  Because I couldn't even imagine my life without her in it.




I love her smile just the way it is! xoxo






0 comments:

Post a Comment